The Great Taewa Hunt: A photography and food-storytelling competition that seeks to emerge and gather the images and stories of this taonga or treasure. These tubers are also known as Māori potatoes and they have a rich history throughout Aotearoa. However these prized potato varietals are facing various challenges, including their susceptibility to disease and a declining Taewa population. There is currently no programme to protect the seed stock – but we know there are a bunch of individuals and growers throughout the country harvesting this hard-to-find treasure.
This competition will be an opportunity for all taewa-lovers to hunt down the story including keen photographers, eaters, growers, iwi, farmers markets and chefs.
We're fortunate to have the formidable and self-proclaimed taewa lover Nadia Lim joining the hunt by coming on board as our official competition judge.
The winning photo and story will receive a cash prize of $500, the image will be published on Stuff.co.nz, and receive a copy of Nadia Lim's cookbook Vegful.
Entries will need to include a high res image (max 10MB) and a short story description (max 100 words) and will be collected via the Official Entry Form HERE. There will be a maximum of three entries per person.
Entries open on Friday 18th June at 9am.
Entries close on Thursday 8th July at 5pm.
The competition will be open to only New Zealand residents.
Winners will be announced on Thursday 15th July.
Image entries will be published throughout the competition period across various Eat New Zealand and Potatoes New Zealand platforms.
See below for Competition Terms & Conditions.
The Great Taewa Hunt Photography Competition Terms and Conditions
ENTRY QUALIFIES AS ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS:
1. PROMOTER: The Promoter is Eat New Zealand & Potatoes New Zealand
2. ELIGIBILITY: The competition is open to any New Zealand residents. All entries must be submitted by Friday 8thJuly at 5pm.
3. HOW TO ENTER: To submit a photo for entry in the competition, you must upload your photo with a short description (max 100 words) via the Official Google Entry Form HERE - (if you have any uploading issues please email your entry email@example.com - using 'The Great Taewa Hunt Competition' in the subject line). A maximum of three photo entries will be accepted per person.
4. PHOTO REQUIREMENTS: The photo(s) must meet reasonable standards of decency. Eat New Zealand has the sole discretion to determine whether or not a photo meets these requirements. In order for the photo to be eligible a short description must be included, and all photos must be either JPG or PNG format.
5. WINNER: The winner will be determined by our official competition judge Nadia Lim and approved by Eat New Zealand and Potatoes New Zealand. No correspondence will be entered into.
6. PHOTO WINNER NOTIFICATION: The competition winner will be announced in the Eat New Zealand newsletter and featured across our Website, Facebook and Instagram. The Winner will be notified after the decision as has been finalised.
8. ANNOUNCEMENTS: By submitting a photo for entry and/or voting, each entrant hereby agrees to participate in any publicity related to the competition. Entrants and winners in the competition agree that their identity may be disclosed in winner announcements and promotional material. Winners also agree to have his/her image used for publicity purposes without any additional payment being made.
9. PHOTO USAGE: By submitting a photo, the entrant agrees to allow Eat New Zealand and Aquaculture New Zealand permission to use the image for the purposes of celebrating Feast Matariki now and into the future, at no cost to Eat New Zealand or Potatoes New Zealand. The entrant also agrees to allow Eat New Zealand and Potatoes New Zealand to use their photo across online platforms, in printed collateral, and across other marketing mediums, at Eat New Zealand and Potatoes New Zealand’s sole discretion and at no cost. Any images entered into the competition may be used in future by Eat New Zealand and Potatoes New Zealand for PR purposes.
10. PHOTO TALENT: By submitting the photo, the entrant declares that they have the permission of all individual(s) captured in photo(s) to share and publish their image.
11. PHOTO COPYRIGHT: In submitting a photo for entry, the entrant declares that they have taken the photo and own and have sole and complete intellectual property rights to the photo.
12. ENTRY FORMAT: Acceptable entries will be photo files from either digital cameras or smart phone cameras or electronic scans. No images supplied in hard copy will be accepted.
13. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Entries may not be acknowledged or returned. Participants have the obligation to ensure entries are received on time. Eat New Zealand and Potatoes New Zealand can choose to keep or remove images from the promotional gallery on completion of the competition should they wish to do so.
14. PERSONAL INFORMATION: The collection, use and disclosure of personal information provided in connection with this competition is governed by the Privacy Laws of New Zealand. Your personal information shall not be provided to any third parties without your prior consent but you do authorise Eat New Zealand and Potatoes New Zealand to be able to contact you with information pertaining to the competition.